Sunday, October 22, 2006

A-League Results - Round 9


CC Mariners 2 - 1 Perth Glory.

A good game for the Glory ended sadly with the breaking of their Goalkeeper's leg and a hamstring strain to Colosimo. The injuries led to a complete loss of momentum and the Mariners swooped in the dying minutes to take the 3 points. Much for Perth to be happy about, but also a lot of worries. They will be massively weakened going into their away clash with Sydney next weekend at Aussie Stadium. Mariners made it 2 in a rowto keep in touch with the top four and are starting to show some of their old spark again.


Sydney FC 1 - 2 Melbourne Victory

Melbourne got back to winning again up in the Harbour city. After a great first half by Sydney, injuries to Steve Corica and Mark Milligan led tot eh team spending the second 45 minutes playing like utter rubbish. A sad sight. Melbourne continue to show their class by being able to take 3 points from matches where they are out classed for large periods. They now sit well on top 8 points above Adelaide.


Queensland Roar 0 - 1 Newcastle Jets

Gary Van Egmond seems to be the Jets lucky charm as they took maximum points from their second game in a row. Qld seemed to have the better of them for the first 20 minutes, but the goal against the run of play by the Jets completely turned the game around and Milton Rodriguez should have easily taken them a few more ahead. This was the first time this season that someone has scored against the Roar at Suncorp, and their first loss at home. The wonderful start to their season seems to be losing a bit of momentum. The loss of Simon Lynch up front didn't help their cause. Hopefully they can get back to playing their best football soon, as when the do it's fantastic to watch.

Adelaide United 4 - 2 New Zealand Knights

Bottom of the table Knights (again) journeyed over to the City of Churches looking for a goal. They've scored 1 only this season, and it was against us in their only win at home ever, and their only win of the season. John Kosmina had to watch from the stands as he started his four game suspension and Paul Nevin returned to the touch line as he completed his. For large parts of the first half we played fantastic football. Surprisingly, so did the Knights, as they changed 6 members of their starting 11 and started to use the grass instead of the air. It all looked good as we went to the break 2 - 0 up. Then things seemed to fall apart for a 15 minute period for United. A 3rd goal early in the second half set up some complacency that allowed a team that's scored once in 8 games to score 2 in a matter of minutes. At 3 - 2 Adelaide seemed unable to regain control and it looked like we were destined to allow the Knights another result. Thankfully a masterful header from substitute Travis Dodd allowed us to finish 2 goals clear.

Rumours say Kossie wasn't happy in his little booth, so we'll see if things change up a bit for next weeks game against Newcastle.

Good attendances over the weekend. Qld got 16,000, Adelaide 11,600 and Sydney managed a respectable 20,000 for a night that was both cold and wet. Mariner's were the only ones below the 10,000 mark, but their 8,500 odd isn't a bad start. Keep up the good work supporters, and tell your friends.

No comments: